Sunday, September 21, 2008

Jamie's visit

One of my good friends from high school, Jamie, visited me this summer. We did a rock'n'roll and eating tour of NYC. We also went to some touristy sites. Here we are in front of the Bethesday Fountain in Central Park.
During the summer, Central Park had a hot air balloon display. I think you could actually take rides up to see the surrounding area.
I think this is another picture from the Bethesda fountain.
Last picture of the fountain!
We took Jamie to Coney Island and wandered the boardwalk on Saturday night. We came across a British guy and his friend who were singing Beatles songs. We stopped to listen and Jamie shouted out some requests. The singer insisted Jamie come up and sing with them. Here she is making her singing debut on Coney Island with the song "I Am the Walrus".

Very nice performance! I am going to try to learn this song so I can sing it to Malaya. She likes to say agoo and goo, so I think she will appreciate the Goo goo kagoo ka goo goo kagoo line. At least I think that is what they are saying.

Jamie and I also visited the Joe Strummer mural in the East Village and stopped at Strawberry Fields. I forgot to point out Mermaid Avenue to her when we were in Coney Island. Woody Guthrie lived on Mermaid Avenue in the 1940s. Apparently he wrote a lot during those years on Mermaid Avenue. In the 1990s, his daughter Nora Guthrie approached the British singer Billy Bragg and asked him if he would be interested in writing the music for some unpublished lyrics written by Woodie Guthrie. Billy Bragg then asked Wilco to be a part of the project. The result of this collaboration are the two excellent albums Mermaid Avenue Volume 1 and 2. If you haven't heard this album, I recommend you give it a listen! I was obsessed with the song "One by One" for awhile.

Another thing Jamie and I did in New York City that I hadn't done before was stand outside of the Today show to try to get on TV. We both made brightly colored signs. Mine read "Pierre Bull Have My Baby!" on one side and the other side said "I'm Kindof a Big Deal in Ideal, South Dakota." That side was a shoutout to Trent and his hometown. Pierre, Trent, and Jamie's husband Eric said that they saw us or part of our signs, but I haven't seen a recording of the show, so I don't know how visible we were. But now I know where to stand the next time I go so I'll definitely get on TV! However, it was really tough getting up that early in the morning, so I don't know if we'll be doing it again any time soon =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home