Wednesday, January 31, 2007

We saw a bunch of trogons at Lalo Loor. I think this one is a northern violaceous trogon (Trogon caligatus). All trogons (or maybe just all male trogons, and some of the females) have brilliant colors. They´re fun to watch as they perch, slowly cock their heads, and check out their surroundings.
JP knew how to handle tarantulas, and kept this one calm enough so that he could turn it over and show us its fangs. I definitely don´t recommend trying this, and probably wouldn´t attempt it myself!
This turniptail gecko got out of the bag when we were trying to release it and jumped on Miles´ head. The numerous tiny folds on its toes allow it to stick to just about any surface, including Miles´ baseball cap.
The iguanas at Punta Prieta liked to hang out in the plants near the buildings of the resort. I really liked the vibrant colors on this juvenile iguana (Iguana iguana).
A pair of laughing falcons roosted near the trail to the cabin at Lalo Loor. They would make their laughing call whenever they caught something, which was a signal to us to run over with our cameras. The laughing falcon in this photo is holding a large snake. We weren´t able to identify any of the snakes they caught.
Another photo of the brown vine snake, acting aggressive because it felt threatened.
This brown vine snake was quite the biter, but I never handled him, so I didn´t have to experience that!
This large bird-eating tarantula was very gentle and graceful as it explored my shirt. I bought this awesome shirt at a mall in Ecuador. I´m not sure if you can see this, but the top of the shirt reads "University" and the middle says "Property of City Jail" and below that "Amsterdam". It´s so random and unrelated, I love it! I think the middle symbol is supposed to be like the Abercrombie and Fitch logo.
Me with the tarantula as a brooch.

This cute long-furred wooly mouse opossum came into our cabin and ran through our rooms. I love his black eye rings and cute ears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home